Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kindergarten



Evan,

Last Monday was your first day of Kindergarten. I can't begin to describe the emotions I was feeling when we walked down the hallway to your classroom. I was nervous, excited, and a little bit teary-eyed when we found your class and walked inside. You were very quiet; taking it all in. We found your cubby and you helped Daddy put your backpack and lunchbox inside before finding your seat. I was hoping you would want us to stick around for a bit & make sure you were okay, but you didn't seem to need us there. I am so proud of your confidence and maturity.

I gave your two or three (or ten) hugs and kisses before waving goodbye & walking out the door. You waved back and said "Bye Dad! Bye Mom! By Jack-Jack!" without any hesitation. As we walked back down the hallway, leaving you behind, I reflected on how far you have come the past two years. Your first day of pre-school was so hard on you. I wasn't sure if you were going to adjust to going to school. Now you are a well-adjusted, outgoing, social little boy. Your first day, and week, were a complete success. You love your teacher, you have made three friends & give us updates on them daily, and you have been given three "green" days. You are so proud of yourself for getting green on your calender. After five green days you can pick a prize out of the treasure box, and that sounds pretty cool to you.

I am so proud of you, Evan. And excited to see what this school year will bring.

I love you,
Mommy.

2 comments:

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

I've got tears in my eyes and Evan isn't even my kid! I can only imagine how parents feel letting their kids go to school for the first time (or even every year). It's amazing how they grow up so fast! Praying that your son learns TONS and that he enjoys school:)

Mark said...

I feel sad every morning when I drop him off for school. He hops out of the car and heads in to the building. There are teachers and helper-type students there, but none of them hold his hand and take him to his class. I want to hold his hand and take him to class, but I can't. I know he doesn't feel sad when I drop him off, but the fear of him feeling lonely is what makes me so sad.