Thursday, October 4, 2012

Papertrey Ink | Make It Monday #85

This week's Make It Monday is glitter tabs! I love glitter and this challenge was so much fun. In the tutorial, Dawn uses heat and stick powder to secure the glitter to her card. I don't own any heat and stick powder, so I had to come up with an alternative.

First, I placed two strips of score tape on the bottom of my tab, trimming the tape to match the cardstock tab. I dumped glitter onto the sticky tab, and tapped off the excess. After pouring the leftover glitter back into the bottle, I masked off the non-glittered cardstock with post it notes and pressed the glittered cardstock into  my Versamark pad, then poured clear embossing powder over it. I tapped off the excess, then heat set it using my heat tool. The result is a perfectly glittered project with no glitter mess! I hope my mini-tutorial makes sense... feel free to ask questions in the comments! I will do my best to answer them. 

*** Edited to answer question from comments: I didn't notice any glitter sticking to my VersaMark pad. Score Tape is super sticky, and I made sure to flick the back of my card after applying glitter (to eliminate any loose pieces), before pressing it into the VersaMark pad. 

Here is my card:


(Supplies - Stamps: (PTI) Snowflake Medley, Happiest of Holidays. Cardstock: (PTI) Rustic White, Spring Rain. Ink: (PTI) Enchanted Evening, Spring Rain, Blueberry Sky. Dies: (PTI) Snowflake Medley, Half & Half. Other: Glitter, vellum, buttons, silk ribbon.)

I'm sorry about the horrible picture... my MacBook bit the dust last week and Mark is backing up all my files before completely reformatting the hard drive (taking all the files off and starting over), so I am using a free 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements until my computer is returned to me. I haven't used PSE in 3+ years, and it is driving me crazy! I don't know where any of my tools are, I can't find things, and my photos are coming out dark and blueish. Hopefully Mark will be finished soon and I can have my computer back! 

I am off to check out the rest of the glitter tab projects. Have a great week!

7 comments:

Luanne said...

Fabulous details on your great card!

Cindy said...

This is a real beauty, Erin. Love all the special touches.

Nancy Penir said...

Erin, sweet snowflakes. Thought the glittered sides were great.

Donna said...

I love all your cards. I so look forward to evry card you post.

Jacquie Southas said...

beautiful card!
I have been experimenting with a couple of ways to glitter without the glitter mess & want to try yours, but I'm hesitating to press glittered cardstock into my Versamark pad - it really didn't leave any glitter behind?

I also love the glittered sides!

bjmartin said...

Pretty sparkly card! I wondered the same thing as Jacquie - did you get glitter on your VersaMark pad when you pressed the glittered card stock on it? I used a fixative - worked but a bit of a pain. Your way sounds easier!

Erin said...

Jacquie and bjmartin... I am going to update my post with an answer to your question! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :-)